My significant other is off for the Easter holidays (the delights of being married to a teacher). This means I can hand Hester over to him for some “quality time” with her daddy while I get on with all the things I don’t get time to do normally due to the pressures of wrangling a small, loud, increasingly mobile person. Callooh callay! First on my list is that pillowcase dress I’ve been planning to make for the baby. The gorgeous orange/turquoise Amy Butler fabric has been winking at me from my craft table for a while, and I want to get the dress made before summer arrives. If summer arrives. I have my doubts on that score.
I admit to feelings of trepidation when I started this project. I haven’t got my sewing machine out in ages, and I think the last thing I sewed was Hester’s baby quilt when I was pregnant (and then I had an expert nearby to help me out when things went tits up). Before I started, I did a bit of fannying around, wondering whether I should splash out on a rotary cutter and a new cutting ruler, but then I caught myself on, cracked out the trusty Fiskars and got cutting. I paid VERY close attention to the excellent, mercifully clear instructions on the Mother Huddle website, and managed to get the body of the dress done:
I’m really surprised at how well this has turned out. There were no major traumas, though I did muck things up a little bit when it came to cutting and stitching the armholes. They don’t quite line up on one side, as you can see:
However, I’m hoping that this won’t be so noticeable when the dress is on. Maybe I’ll just forbid Hester to lift that arm. Yeah, that’ll work.
Things also went a little wonkoloid at the bottom of the dress, but only a tiny bit and again I think this won’t be obvious when Hester’s wearing the dress.
Overall, though, I’m pretty pleased with how it looks. The cut of the dress seems to have really brought out the turquoise in the pattern, which I hadn’t expected. To offset this, I used orange thread for the topstitching and I’m really chuffed at how it turned out. I mean, check out my straight stitching! Not bad for someone who’s never attempted topstitching before (*pats self on back*):
I still have to thread the elastic through the casing, and make the shoulder straps (and a little bow, on one shoulder). Annoyingly, I have to wait to do this as I’ve only just ordered the bias tape for the straps off eBay and I doubt it’ll arrive this week. But the Easter holidays last two whole glorious weeks, so I should totally have this dress done and dusted by the time James goes back to school. Watch this space.